Raymond F. DaBoll
Pan, Lament for a Lost Acadia, 1940
Gray printed folded keepsake for members and friends of the Society of Typographic Arts printed by John D. Schneider at the Sign of the Dog House with poem calligraphed by Raymond DaBoll. The colophon is inscribed by DaBoll. 22 x 24 centimeters. Created n.d. Lent by Nancy Leavitt.
Raymond DaBoll (1892–1982) studied at the Rochester Institute of Technology and the Art Institute of Chicago. In 1919 after working at an engraving house and in agency art departments he began studying calligraphy with Oswald Cooper, and in 1937 joined the Newberry Library classes taught by Ernst Detterer. His calligraphic work was proliﬁc and used as titles, broadsides, and in book design.